Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

New life for DREAM Act

from Dick Durbin, U.S. Senator

More than 10 years ago, I wrote the DREAM Act to address an injustice: thousands of promising young people who were brought here as children -- without a choice -- and grew up pledging allegiance to the American flag are not able to fully contribute to this country.

The DREAM Act would allow this select group of students with great potential a chance to earn legal status if they: have good moral character, have lived in the U.S. for at least five years, came here before the age of 16, earn a high school degree, and complete at least two years of college or military service in good standing.

I have been fighting to pass the DREAM Act ever since.

With help from you and 27,000 citizen co-sponsors of the DREAM Act, we now have a real shot at giving these bright young people a chance at the American Dream.

That's because tomorrow, I will be chairing the first-ever hearing on the DREAM Act to discuss how it will make our country stronger.

But I need your help to convince a few more of my colleagues to support its passage.

Will you ask your friends and family to join you as a citizen co-sponsor of the DREAM Act? Click the headline to use our simple tell-a-friend tool -- and help give a select group of bright immigrant students the chance to contribute more fully to America.

I know we don't have an easy road ahead, but I am hopeful that tomorrow’s hearing will provide us with the platform needed to illustrate how these young people -- who have lived in America much of their lives, sat in our classrooms, and know no other home -- deserve the chance to be legal, fully contributing members to society.

Please, help me give them that chance.

Thank you for standing with me, and for helping me do right by these young people.

Sincerely,

Dick Durbin
U.S. Senator

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...