Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

F.F. Bruce on Primary Sense and Plenary Sense

The following article is now available in PDF (again):

F.F. Bruce, "Primary Sense and Plenary Sense," (Peake Memorial Lecture) Epworth Review 4 (1977): 94-109.

Quotable quote:
I know some theologians who would suggest that the Holy Spirit may bring forth from Scripture today truth, which bears little relation to that conveyed by the text in its historical setting, but I cannot think they are right. Even the devotional application of Scripture, which is specially impatient of strict exegetical controls, must be reasonably deducible from what Scripture says; otherwise why base a ‘blessed thought’ on one text more than another, or why base it on a text of Scripture at all?

I have found preparing this article for the Web particularly difficult due to the poor quality of the original (provided by the British Library). Please let me know if I've missed any of the typos.

With the arrival of British Summer Time I am switching to my summer schedule. This means that I will be uploading fewer articles (probably only one of two a week) as more of my time will be spent on trips to the park with my two little boys and my evenings spent working on my allotments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...