Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2010

Putting a human face on illegal immigration

This story shows different sides of the ESL classes and immigrant lives, from teaching and learning. - - Donna Poisl

Time spent teaching immigrants English taught her some real-life lessons.

By Kaitlin Manry

I became an English tutor by accident.

A few months out of college and feeling lonely and bored in a new town 3,000 miles from my family and friends, I volunteered to teach illiterate adults to read. It was something to do, somewhere to go other than my moldy attic apartment after work in a windowless office in Aberdeen, Wash., a foggy mill town of 16,000 people best known as the hometown Kurt Cobain slammed in his songs.

To my dismay, the volunteer coordinator at Grays Harbor Community College declined my offer. But she offered another option.
Click on the headline above to read the rest of this story! This is only a small part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...