Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Everest Base Camp Trek: Introduction


As many of you know, back in April I made the trek to Everest Base Camp, which is an adventure that a lot of you either have done yourself or are planning to do in the future. It had long been on my "life list" of as well, and I'd been planning to travel to Nepal and complete that journey for several years before I finally took the plunge and went for it this spring. It was an amazing, yet challenging, trip that was filled with breathtaking scenery that proved to be everything I had hoped for and more.

I have now been home a month, and I'm fully recovered from the trek and the horrendous jet lag that followed. Since then, I've had time to reflect on the trip and collect my thoughts on what I experienced in the Himalaya. As a result, I've started to share the story of the trip at Gadling.com, the travel website that I write for in addition to this blog.

The series of stories on the trek will be entitled "Himalayan High", and I have quite a few of them lined up for publication. I'm going to discuss what's it's like to make the trek, the benefits and drawbacks of being guided vs. going independently, the dangers of the hike, and how you should prepare before you go. Hopefully, when I'm all done, you'll get a good sense of what to expect if you should go yourself, and maybe get a few insights on things you hadn't considered before. If you have questions about anything along the way, would like some advice, or just want to share your own experiences, feel free to post a comment or drop me a note at kungfujedi@gmail.com.

My first story is a bit of an introduction for the Gadling readers on what to expect. It went up on the website earlier today, and you can find it by clicking here. The next article should go live on Thursday, and will start to chronicle the the trip beginning with the flight to Kathmandu and my first impressions of that colorful and chaotic city. I promise that when the stories go live, I'll post a link to them here for those who don't read Gadling, but are interested in hearing about the trip none the less. I hope you enjoy them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...